Do you like easy-to-make and delicious dishes? Ones that can be a main dish or a side dish? Try this cheese and zucchini pie.
I love zucchini. It’s a year round vegetable that lends itself to so many different cooking techniques.
I found this recipe for Cheese and Zucchini Pie on an Italian cooking website a couple of years ago and it sounded really good.
It’s from the region of Umbria, but it tastes like good, old-fashion comfort food. I have rewritten the directions for American kitchens and added some notes to the directions. It’s easy to prepare and if your family is squeamish about vegetables, they will dive into this dish without hesitation.
The combination of two cheeses provides yummy taste and texture. You could double the recipe for a great pot-luck dinner contribution.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE CHEESE AND ZUCCHINI PIE.
Sweat the zucchini and onions in olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Set them aside to cool.
Place two eggs in a bowl and beat with a fork. Remove about 1 tablespoon to a small ramekin. Add the cubed mozzarella to the beaten eggs and combine.
Use a box grater on a piece of wax paper to grate the goat cheese.
Then add to the eggs and mozzarella.
When the zucchini/onion mixture is cool, fold it in to the cheese and eggs, thoroughly combining.
Place your puff pastry in your preferred dish. Depending on the size of your dish, you may have puff pastry up the sides, as I did. If your dish is larger, the puff pastry may be flat.
Fill your puff pastry with the zucchini mixture and spread to cover most of the puff pastry.
Brush any visible puff pastry with the reserved beaten egg. This step will add color to the baked puff pastry.
Cheese Zucchini Pie
- 2 mixing medium bowls
- 1 medium skillet
- 1 8 X 8 or 9 X 9~inch baking dish
- stirring spoons and fork
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- box grater
- wax paper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablepoon olive oil
- 2 eggs cracked and beaten
- 2 medium or large zucchini trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese cubed
- 4 ounces goat cheese grated on box grater
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil to heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and stir for a minute. Add the zucchini. Cook until the onion is soft, but not brown. Cook the zucchini until slightly soft. Remove to a bowl to cool.
- In a medium bowl, crack the egg and beat lightly with a fork. Remove 1 tablespoon to a small ramekin. Add the mozzarella and stir to coat with the eggs.
- Line a cutting board with wax paper. Grate the goat cheese with the box grater on the wax paper. Add the goat cheese to the mozzarella/egg mixture and combine. Add the zucchini/onion mixture.
- Roll out the thawed puff pastry to a few inches larger than your baking dish. Line the baking dish with the rolled out puff pastry. Carefully place in the baking dish.
- Spoon the zucchini mixture into the baking dish and spread out to fill the puff pastry. Brush the edges of the puff pastry with the reserved egg wash.
- Place the cheese zucchini casserole in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes until the zucchini cheese is slightly set and the puff pastry is golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve.
Here was my finished dish. It was sooo good. Sweet Shark loved it. I hope you will try it and love it too.